|image courtesy of Red Jumper|
The free version of Book Creator allows you to create only one ebook. Unlimited books comes with an in-app purchase of $4.99. Schools can use Apple Volume Purchasing Program to buy it in large quantities for 50% off. There are iOS and Android versions available.
This short video gives you a quick overview of how easy it is to use.
Launch the app and select New Book.
Choose a book shape (Portrait, Square, Landscape).
The first page is the Cover. All other pages are designed the same way. Tap the + icon to select an item to add.
Photos - accesses the camera roll for pictures students have saved from the internet or taken with the camera. Also use this option to import videos saved to the camera roll.
Camera - use the camera to take a picture and insert it onto the page.
Pen - can be used to create simple drawings to include on the page.
Add Text - create text boxes that can be moved around on the page.
Add Sound - can be used to import audio from the iTunes library or record student voices. A speaker icon is placed on the page, which, when tapped, plays the audio.
Elements can be resized and placed by dragging the blue dots in the corner.
Format text or layer graphics by tapping the i symbol in the upper right hand corner.
Final projects can be exported as ePub files, which can be viewed in any ebook reader, or PDFs. PDFs lack the interactive element of videos, audio, and page turning.
- In a math classroom students can create a book to compare and contrast different methods of solving problems using text for directions and videos modeling each method.
- In a primary classroom students can create a number or alphabet book.
- Students can collaborate on a book with each student responsible for a chapter.
- In the science classroom students can embed video of an experiment, examine the data, and write out a conclusion.
- Create a book describing and showing the different types of triangle. Include audio definitions for each type.
- Create an instructional sequence with each step or task as a chapter.
- Create an interactive report on an animal or country, including pictures and text.
Download the Tech Integration Challenge for Book Creator and see if you are up to the challenge!