Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Rights of the Reader

I'm currently reading Donalyn Miller's The Book Whisperer. This is an awesome book that makes me want to be a reading teacher or librarian! I already love books and everything she talks about resonates with me.

In chapter 4 she mentions The Rights of the Reader by Daneil Pennac. I had not seen this before, but now I think every teacher and librarian (adult!) should have this poster somewhere in their room.

What I love about this book is that Ms. Miller preaches independent reading and allowing students choice in what books they read. Many times my children have come home with assigned reading. Usually the books are of no interest to them or are on a level they don't understand. I think that teachers too often dictate when, where, and what books students can read. And I think that discourages reading instead. This poster reestablishes the rights readers have to choose their own reading material for whatever reason they want.


The version in her book is slightly different. Perhaps it was an earlier draft from Daniel Pennac. I like it better than the one on the poster, so I'm reproducing it here.

THE RIGHTS OF THE READER
by Daniel Pennac (2006)

  1. The right to not read.
  2. The right to skip pages.
  3. The right to not finish.
  4. The right to reread.
  5. The right to read anything.
  6. The right to escapism.
  7. The right to read anywhere.
  8. The right to browse.
  9. The right to read out loud.
  10. The right not to defend your tastes.


No comments:

Post a Comment