Thursday, January 21, 2016

#MysterySkype resources

The more #mysteryskypes I've done, the more I realize that there are certain resources I need to use in order to make it successful. There is only so much organization that can be done, because in the heat of the moment students get excited and of course the activity changes depending on the location of the other class. Despite the sometimes chaotic nature of it, there are still several resources that can be used to help it flow smoothly.

With the help of other awesome teachers in my PLN I've gathered a few resources that I think should be in every teacher's #mysteryskype toolbox. All of those resources can be found here. They were freely given to me to modify and I freely pass them on to anyone else to use. I'm sorry I can't give credit to everyone that shared with me - I neglected to make note at the time.

Maps - includes maps of all the continents showing country borders. Since most of my Mystery Skypes are in the U.S., there's also a U.S. states map. If you use a better map than the one I have, please post a link for it in the comments.

Debriefing and Reflecting - this has forms students can use to self evaluate and reflect on their performance as a team member during the Mystery Skype.

Mystery Skype Jobs - since each student should have a job to do during the Skype session here are forms with suggested jobs, plus an application students can use to suggest what job they'd like to do.

Miscellaneous - there are also some miscellaneous forms to help you plan your first Mystery Skype, such as a checklist, sample questions, and signs to hold up.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all of these resources! I am teaching elementary computers, and I want to try a Mystery Skype session or two with my fifth graders this year. I was trying to wrap my head around the logistics of the session, and this has it all spelled out so simply. I love the jobs you've suggested, and I like how the job application helps give the student ownership over his or her job. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found them useful! Mystery Skypes is one of the most engaging activities I've students get involved in. I am trying to Skype with all 50 states this year, including Nevada. Let me know if you'd like to connect with my 4th graders. It would be fun to Skype with another Nevada class and try to guess down to the school.

      Delete